Chocolate Gifts from Chocolate.com.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Norwegian Crab Bisque - Great Clam Chowder substitute!

I'm not sure which one of my food-loving fellow contributors left the review of Campbell's Chunky Healthy Request Clam Chowder, but I'm glad you did. I saw it on the shelf and had contemplated trying it. I'll stick to what I know is good thank you very much!

Here's a recipe you might want to try when you're craving clam chowder or fish for that matter. This is a great soup, healthy and fairly low cal. I'm sure you'll be able to make a few modifications to cut back on the calories even further! I substitute clams from the can for the crab for a great tasting clam chowder.

Norwegian Crab Bisque
2 cups water
1 small onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
2 carrots, sliced*
1 cup frozen peas**
6 - 8 whole allspice
1 tsp. dried dill weed
1/2 tsp. white pepper
2 cans (13 ox. each) evaporated skim milk
1 lb. imitation crab***
1 Tbsp. parsley
Dash of tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
Place water, onions, celery, potatoes, carrots, peas, allspice, dill and white pepper in 4-quart saucepan. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and discard allspice.
Add mile and simmer (do NOT boil). Gently stir in imitation crab. garnish with parsely and tabasco.
Makes 6 servigns. 229 calories, 0.3 gram fat, 629 mg. sodium, 38 mg cholesterol per serving.

*I use the shredded kind in bags as I don't care for large pieces of carrots
** I usually leave these out as a few in my family don't like peas. I like having veggies in it though so I might put some brocoli on occasion. I tried spinach and loved it, but I was the lonely owner of a whole pot of bique as no one else would try it.
***I prefer not to use the imitation crab as it has a distinctive flavor and it has sugar in it. I have substituted clams, shrimp, and/or boneless fish. You need to simmer long enough to make sure the seafood is cooked if you use fresh, something you don't need to worry about with imitation crab. I usually just use frozen cooked shrimp or canned clams so I don't have to worry. However, the flavor is SO much better with fresh. Sometimes I'll precook the fish in the microwave to save a minute or two. I have also made this with scallops, real crab, shrimp and clams all together, for a great seafood gumbo.

The recipe is from "Light-Hearted Seafood - Tasty, Quick, Healthy" by Janis Harsila, R.D. and Evie Hansen. It's from way back in 1989 and was published by the National Seafood Educators, P.O. Box 60006, Richmond Beach, WA 98160 (206-546-6430 is the phone number listed, but who knows if it's still good). I'd suggest doing an Internet search if you're intersted in trying to find a copy.

It's a great little book if you love seafood like I do!

Judy

No comments: