Chocolate Gifts from Chocolate.com.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I suggest Corn and Shrimp Soup!

Cindy, I've never tried onion pie but it sounds like something I might have to try. I may cut back some on the butter and try substituting egg beaters for the eggs. I'm always thinking of my cholesterol and calories.

I have a perfect suggestion for a soup that will set the onion pie off to a T. See what you think about this:

Corn and Shrimp Soup

4 - 3 green onions or scallions
1/2 green bell pepper
4 - 6 stalks celery

Chop the vegetables and then saute in butter or margarine. Set aside.

1 cup water
1 (46 oz) can V-8 Juice (hot or regular)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup*

Simmer water, juice and soup in large pot briefly, just long enough to heat and mix. Add sauteed vegetables. Bring to a boil.

When boiling add:

2 (10 oz) pkgs. frozen corn OR 2 cans niblet corn**

1 to 2 lbs fresh, peeled and deveined shrimp


Cook at medium to medium / low for 10 - 15 minutes (or until corn and shrimp are done). Do not overcook shrimp!

Add to taste any of the following (I suggest all):
salt
pepper
oregano
parsley
cayenne pepper (good for your circulation!)
thyme
sweet basil

Don't overdo it on the spices. Add a pinch or two of each. Simmer for a minute, then sample.

If you'd like to make a richer version add lump crab meat! You can also add chopped carrots and / or red bell peppers to liven up the colors (and the taste). It makes a beautiful presentation.

*Campbell's makes a low sodium and a Healthy Choice mushroom soup that works great if you're watching your health
**I highly recommend using frozen corn, it has a much better flavor and consistency

- Judy P.

No comments: