Chocolate Gifts from Chocolate.com.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Is it me or is it peanut butter?

Is it me or is it peanut butter? Have my taste buds changed so much over the years that peanut butter tastes nothing like peanuts or have they changed the way they make peanut butter? I grew up with Skippy and Peter Pan. My memory tells me that they used to taste less like chemicals and more like peanuts?

I don't eat it very often, but when I want peanut butter, I WANT peanut butter! I love nothing more than to take a tablespoon of peanut butter, mix a bit of honey in it and eat it. No bread, no jelly, just one tablespoon with honey. Protein with something for the sweet tooth. I have at times mixed some chocolate into the mix.

Add a dollop of peanut butter to a fruit smoothie and it's perfect.

I don't do it often as there's a lot of fat and calories in it. I can get my protein in less fattening ways.

I guess I'm going to have to try the natural peanut butters again. Back when I used to buy all natural it was a pain to stir the oil back into the jar. Messy, time consuming in these days of eat on the run, and generally just a pain. I saw a brand on the shelf the other day that said it was all natural but it wouldn't separate. I don't see how they can do that without some kind of additive. I'm going to take a closer look next time I'm at the store.

Am I the only one who thinks peanut butter just tastes weird anymore? I'm disappointed every time I try it. I've read that as you get older your taste buds die off or get less sensitive so those tastes you remember are still there, but they are lost to you forever. How sad. Supposedly that's why we crave sweets and salt as we get older. They still tingle the taste buds.

I wonder if there's anything that can be done to re-generate taste buds? Guess that's another subject for another day. Right now I simply want to know what has happened to my peanut butter.

No comments: